24 December 2013

Kickin' It Old Skool - Day 24

This month I'm joining Jamie Ridler and Shannon Ridler in their Kickin It Old Skool Blog Challenge.  It's a month long challenge that will encourage us to post every day.  If you want to join in, click here or on the button on the left side bar.

Day 24 - Holiday Disasters

Today we're asked to share a holiday disaster.  I've been thinking about it all day and I really couldn't think of anything, until I started to type this post. Then I remembered something that happened not once, but twice.  And while it isn't really what I would call a disaster, it was quite disappointing to me.

I'm a very particular cook when it comes to feeding others.  I am very careful to keep everything clean and to go through recipes piece by piece.  Several years ago, I volunteered to make the dessert for holiday dinner.  I had found a cookbook that had old fashioned pioneer recipes and wanted to try a recipe for a Snowy Mountain Cake.

It was the first time I'd made a cake from scratch, all other cakes I'd made had used a box mix as a starter.  I remember being so very proud of getting the cake to rise like it should and having the finished product be so pretty.  (This was before photos were taken of everything!)  We went to dinner and I presented the cake for dessert.  Everyone had a slice and then we started to eat.  I think it was my Dad who spit his bite out first, but we all ended up gagging and spitting out our bites.  I'd left out the baking powder.  The cake tasted horrible and our lab who would eat soap, aluminum foil and cat poo (in addition to everything else she could get her mouth around) wouldn't eat it.  

I think I cried when I got home.  I was so upset and embarrassed!

After crying it out, I decided I would try again.  I wasn't going to let one mistake keep me from making this cake.  Do the next holiday I made another one.  Guess what?  This time I left out the baking soda.  Yes, another failure!  I couldn't even wait until I got home to cry about that one.

Sadly, I have never attempted this cake again.  I have wanted to because I don't want to have failed completely.  Maybe some day I'll make it and be able to get it right.  :-)

Happy Holidays!
Hope Santa brings you something good!
blessings
~*~

 

1 comment:

Kate Robertson said...

I sympathize with your disaster. I one brought a family recipe to my new in-laws and the cake was raw inside. So I felt really bad. I have made it again but never took it anywhere again.

Kate