18 August 2010

the ordeal

It seems like forever since I've posted. But it's only been a few days really. I've had so much running through my mind that I wanted to post about, but have not been able to find the time or energy.

Remember that test I went for? Well... that was not fun, let me tell ya. I ended up with the positional headaches that they mentioned were a possible side effect. I spent that Saturday and Sunday lying down. On Monday morning I felt like I needed to try to make an effort to go to work and when I got up to feed the kids, there wasn't too much pain so I went ahead and went in. Within about 10 minutes of getting in the car, the pain came back and the longer I sat/stood the worse it got. After an hour at work, I called the Dr and they had me come right in for a blood patch. Basically they draw blood from your arm and then insert it into the area where they did the lumbar puncture so it can clot over the hole and my spine would quit leaking fluid. That procedure caused serious pain in my back and rear-end (pain that has yet to recede). Then I was put on bed rest for 72 hours. Fun...

Anyway, they found that I have elevated cerebral pressure in my skull. More tests (MRA and MRV) revealed that I have a vein in my skull that is narrowed and is causing the blood to not flow out as it should. They also did another brain MRI and found several of the veins in my skull are "extremely prominent". I have no idea what that means. They've now scheduled me for an angiogram at the end of the month to verify for certain that the vein has narrowed. If it has then it will be tested to see what the pressure difference is and then possibly put in a stint to keep it open. I still have lots of tests and procedures to go through but my neurologist is happy that he might have found the cause of the migraines. Of course, he is prefacing everything he says with ..."it may not change the headaches" but he's at least trying.

New meds have created red welts on my face and I've finally hit my limit of what I'll take. It's been 7 months now and not a single medicine that he's prescribed that I have ingested has been of any relief. I'm planning to speak with him tomorrow about allowing me to go off the meds completely. I'm so confused all the time. I've taken to carrying around a pad and pen so that I can write down anything I think so I don't forget to do things. I'm messing up badly at work and it is just well... too much.

Then losing my poor beastie. I'm honestly amazed that I'm still sane. Well, slightly sane I suppose! :)

I have many other ideas for posts and hopefully soon I'll be posting about something not nearly as boring as my health. :/



Lorna said...

I'm so sorry you've been having such a horrible experience. I'm an inexpert pray-er, but I'll include you, and I'm sending healing thoughts as well.

I've had to start a new blog due to breaking my old one severely. I'm at Lornaslandofwonder.blogspot.com

Come visit when it works for you.

laoi gaul~williams /I\ said...

oh poor you, you are having such a dreadful time.
i do hope the doctor will listen to you~sometimes we need to lsiten to our own selves.
thinking of you lovely

The Frog Queen said...

Sending good thoughts your way. Hope things get better soon.


Celia said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well....sounds like a nightmare. I used to get horrible headaches all the time too....I haven't had a really bad one in a while....(knock on wood)....they would put me straight to bed. I am sending well wishes and thoughts your way.

Spellbound In Salem said...

Sounds like you have been having an awful time lately. I will keep you in my thoughts, and hope that things start to look up soon for you.

Kiki said...

HUgs to you and many well wishes to all you have been through..hang in there and keep spirited!
Blessings and wishing you many pathways of sparkles ahead!
PS; i look forwrad to getting to know you and your wonderful blog..the other one is beautiful too!