16 September 2020

in the garden...

 





i finally made it to the farmers market, last week i think, or maybe the week before.  i brought home gala apples, squash and zucchini, peaches, atlantic salmon and a mess of beans.  i froze the beans and ate everything else, although i'm still working on the apples.  

every time i prep fresh green beans, it takes me back to one of my favorite memories.  sitting on the front porch of my grandparents house (my dream house) with my grandmommy, swinging in the glider and snapping and stringing beans.  we always had a cold bottle of pepsi.  back then, my granddaddy was a distributer (i think that's the word).  he delivered the products to the stores.  he would bring home bottles by the case.  these are the old glass bottles.  i loved them so much.

the garden is winding down out there.  the high temps seem to have broken and i can see things changing.  the magic basil is still going and i'm still hoping for flowering so i can collect seeds.  i'm still getting strawberries and tomatoes and the lettuce i planted is starting to sprout.

and the spiders... there have been so many huge webs and huge spiders out there...crazy times.

how are things going in your garden?

thanks for stopping in...

lots of love & magical blessings

~*~ 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My Rare One is busy giving away most of her garden produce right now. With a friend, she processed the tomatoes into a kind of sweet pickled relish. The onions and beets she'll overwinter. Most of her cukes and carrots are gone now.

The only thing we bought at the farmers' market this year was peas in the pod (she didn't grow any herself). We went back 2 or 3 times for big bags of them and positively GORGED ourselves on fresh peas! That's the only way I like peas, fresh and raw from the shell. I despise any kind of cooked peas.

Sukeban AK (Angie) said...

I love your garden so much! I miss having one. Hopefully next year!

karen said...

my dad's mom had a glider that I loved to sit on. I adore green beans but do not have a memory like yours attached to them like you do.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I hope your basil surprises you.

My wee garden is still giving tomatoes, strawberries, and a peppers. Not as many as a few weeks ago, but it's good to see the plants going.