25 May 2018

DNA...

When I was a little girl, my family was the most important thing in my life.  I knew who they were and by extension, who I was. (By family, I mean my parents, siblings, grandparents and cousins.  We were all very close and they were my family.)

As I grew older, I began to wonder if maybe all wasn't as it seemed.  At one point I started to wonder if maybe I was adopted.  Of course, that could have just been wishful thinking.  :-)

When I hit my early twenties (early 1990's), I started to really wonder where I came from.  I started asking questions of my older relatives, especially the two grandparents I had left (one from each side).  I heard so many weird stories.  Rumors of chicken/horse thieves from one line, Native American ancestry on another line.  Some said we were from Scotland and some from Ireland, some from France and some from Wales. But there was no real information...just rumors.


During that time, I was bitten by the genealogy bug and began to seriously research my ancestry.  I bought and borrowed books on how to do so, joined Rootsweb (a free online genealogy community), and started haunting cemeteries and courthouse record rooms.  I wrote for documents in places I couldn't visit, sent letters and questionnaires to family members (both close and distant) and wrote down everything I could find in weird disjointed ways.

Over the years I built up a lot of information. I searched online, exchanged emails with like-minded people across the country and even printed a couple years worth of newsletters for two of my main family lines.  I even considered applying to a specialized college to be come a professional genealogist.  It was very consuming.
In 2004, a medical crisis knocked me out of my loop and I gave up.  I just didn't see the point when there was no one to whom to pass the information.  For many years my collection sat in plastic tubs, hidden in attics or closets.  I didn't really want to look anymore.

I don't know what caused me to start back.  I think the burgeoning of Ancestry.com and the "ease" of it.  I say ease, because a lot of ancestry information is from member trees and you have to be careful to take anything from someone's tree with a grain (sometimes a bag) of salt.  


Then Ancestry came out with their DNA tests.  I thought about it, when it first came out, but I was in an everything's a conspiracy frame of mind and it didn't seem safe.  I've continued to play around at researching off and on over the past 10 years.  I've found some interesting things and some frustrating things.  But I continued to be comfortable in my family knowledge.

Two months ago, I did something I never thought I would.  I submitted a DNA kit to Ancestry.  I'd had no luck finding those elusive Native American ancestors that we supposedly had and was running into brick wall, after brick wall on other lines.  So, I went for it.  

Turns out, I'm definitely not a Native American descendant.  In fact, I'm basically British/European, with a tiny portion Finnish/Russian, Iberian and from Asia central.  What?!?!

Once I started looking at people I matched to and seeing where we connected, I noticed that there was a line missing.  I contacted a cousin from this particular line that I knew had been doing research and asked if he'd submitted the test.  He had, but we didn't match.  What the *!&%@???

We talked more and he has lots of matches to other ancestors down this particular line, but I don't.  I have one match to a great-grandfather on this line but it also lists his wife (my great-grandmother) as a common ancestor.  I have lots of connections through her line, going way back.  But none on him.  Hmmmm...

Because of the common ancestor connections to her, I know for sure that my dad is my dad, and my grandfather is my grandfather.   So either my grandfather was not of his father's bloodline, or my great-grandfather wasn't of his father's bloodline.  Oh boy.  

I have no idea how to figure this out.  It isn't like I can call them up and ask.  They've all passed on years ago.  

I'll be honest.  I don't know why this matters so much to me.  No one else in our family cares or is even interested.  I've no one to pass the information down to, so why does it matter?  

I don't know.  It just does.  It always has.

Maybe I just really love a good mystery....

Anyhoo...

This is what I've been up to the last few weeks.  Lots of time spent sifting through "matches" on Ancestry and trying to figure things out.  

I have determined that it might be a glitch in their system/testing as my cousin and I have a mutual cousin who we both match to and it's the same family line.  So...

Hmmm, I didn't mean for that to be such a long post. 

So, tell me...have you researched your family history?  Does knowing where/who you come from matter to you?

I'd love to hear your research stories or why it does/doesn't matter to you.

Thanks for stopping in for a read...
love & blessings
~*~ 

6 comments:

Vicki Knitorious said...

This is SOOOO fascinating! I have done family research on/off for many years and spent many hours in libraries, courthouses, and cemeteries. I love that so many records are available & accessible online. I'm not as serious as I once was, but my husband & I both had our DNA tested via Ancestry, and gave the tests to our daughters for Christmas last year. So far, one daughter has her results, another just sent hers in, and the third "keeps forgetting." I am dying to know how they match up & differ -- how the DNA has been distributed in each of them and how they compare to ours!

For me, it was always about the mystery (and there was one or two)... and I loved finding old photos along the way. I was very lucky to team up with another interested family member back when I was really into it because she was much more interested in talking to people, while I was more comfortable in the stacks!

My research comes up now & then in conversation, but mostly my kids aren't interested in the least (right now, anyway).

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have always been interested in my family history too. Luckily, I have a couple of relatives who have done major genealogical research on my paternal side and figured things all out to a great extent -- in other words, they have done all the heavy lifting! All I have to do is read their research, lol! But I still visit sites and graveyards, etc. to see stuff for myself.

I have no descendants to pass any such info on to, but that doesn't matter to me. It's enough that I am interested. Satisfying my own sense of where I came from is enough.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I find family histories very interesting, but blood has never really matter to me. Family is family is family... especially when we get to choose them.

Magic Love Crow said...

This is so interesting and fascinating!! I have heard stories, like you, about my family as well, but I have never done any research. Who knows, I might in the future? Big Hugs!

Victoria said...

Gorgeous photos, thanks for sharing your fascinating stories..yes indeed, a mysterious and magical journey to explore! Shine on! It has been wonderful catching up on your blog!
Hugs
Wishing you a magical June.
Victoria

mxtodis123 said...

Isn't Ancestry amazing? I have met cousins I never knew existed.