03 November 2017

Fear






Do you ever feel afraid?  Not that shocking fear like oh there's a spider, but the deep dark fear that hides inside and keeps you from doing things?  Things like eating in a restaurant by yourself, going on a trip alone, introducing yourself to a stranger at a party?

I do.  I feel afraid all the time.  I only go to drive through fast food places, I might go on a trip once every two or three years, but it is very hard for me.  I feel fear just walking the hundred of so steps to my mailbox to get the mail.  

I don't know where this fear comes from.  I've felt it most of my life.  I even spent 3 months in my house many, many moons ago unable to barely open the front door to get the mail out of the box by the door.  I'd been driving to work one day and just turned my car around and went home.  I didn't leave for months.  I just couldn't.  

That crippling anxiety has kept me from doing so much in my life.  I wonder if that is why I'm alone.  Being scared just to walk through a grocer makes going out to meet people so difficult.  It's hard to make friends (much less get a date), if you can't look people in the eye.

My current biggest fear is that I'll never have any of the dreams I had for myself as a child.  The last one I'm down to that is even remotely possible, is to live in the country/mountains, surrounded by nature, not buildings.  It is something that I've wanted for so long, and I've looked into it many times, including making a couple of offers on property.  But they never worked out.  

Now, with my health getting worse, I'm terrified I'm going to live in the city townhouse for the rest of my life.  Not being able to see the stars at night because of too much light noise, the only wildlife being birds, squirrels and chipmunks. The sounds of bass thumping from cars and the nearby gym, cars honking and traffic on the nearby highway, my lullaby.

I'm not okay with that.  But I'm terrified to try.  I can barely hold a hammer or screwdriver.  I have very little life skills, and pretty much no country living skills.  I can't even climb a step ladder without someone here in case I fall again.  If I moved I'd not have any family (or my favorite handyman) near by and obviously no friends.  (Of course, I don't have any friends nearby now so that probably shouldn't factor.)   

So, what do I do?  Do I keep looking for a property in the mountains that I could be happy in?  Do I stay here and try to figure out how to adjust to not having any of my dreams come true? 

I don't know and I think that makes the fear worse.  It makes me more afraid of spending the rest of my life alone and dying that way.  

So, I don't know what I'll do, I just know that I have to figure out how to fight the fear.  I guess first, I need to figure out which one to fight.

Do you have any fears you're fighting?

Thanks for stopping by,
love & blessings
~*~

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have such bad anxiety, Laura. It's a problem that plagues many people. I hope someday that your country living dreams come true.

Marfi-topia said...

I feel anxious a lot of the time too. I don't like shopping on my own either...
have you spoken to your doctor about this anxiety? you might be able to get some medication for it..something mild to take that edge off.
There are probably support groups too..maybe an online Facebook one at first??
Could it maybe have been hormonal, that time you decided to just go back home on your way to work?
I know, from personal experience that my stupid hormones have wreaked havoc on me and made me extremely anxious.

I do hope you get to live in your dream home in the country soon.
hugs to you!!
m

Magic Love Crow said...

I understand totally what you are saying! I was like this roughly 4 years ago! I was afraid to leave the house! I still have fear in me, but I have been working through it! Instead of fighting your fears, start to love them. I know that might sound weird, but right now "fears" are something dark, that you are pushing away from you. Once you welcome them into the light and understand why you have them and really love them, they will slowly die away. Right now, you, your spirit, your body, needs lots of love!! I pray your dreams do come true!! Big Hugs!