15 October 2015

frost and other things...

 It has been a busy few days since my last post.  Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm coming or going.  Lots of plans being plotted and things being made for the upcoming party.

Yesterday I was talking with my flower friend from the farmer's market (say that five times fast!) and she mentioned that frost has been predicted for our area this weekend.  I was so upset!  You see, a week or two ago I placed a spring flowering bulb order.  As our area doesn't usually see first frost until the first week of November, I thought I had plenty of time to get them in the ground.  Apparently not!
So today was bulb planting day.  I hadn't even decided how I wanted to lay them out.  So I sat down and came up with a plan.  Of course it involved prepping a new bed to put them in.  It took almost 3 and a half hours but they are all planted. (photo is about halfway through).  I'll see how this does next spring.  If I don't like the mixture I can always move them next fall.  

I took a long hot bath in the tub after I was done.  That was my instant gratification reward for all my perseverance.  Next spring, when I have pretty flowers to look at, that will be the big reward.  

{Warning: Spider photo below.}  The other day I went out to do something (I forget what) and found this little girl starting her web building.  She was right under my back door.  I caught her in the jar then took her off to the small wooded area that surrounds our property to let her go.  This is the second black widow I've seen.  The first was a few years ago at the cottage garden.  It's weird seeing one here.
I'm still doing Inktober every day.  Sometimes it is hard to feel anything through the pen.  But I keep trying.  That's point, isn't it?
 Day 7 - in honor of my baby brother's birthday
 Day 8
 Day 9
 Day 10
 Day 11
 Day 12 
It's a candle light night, tonight.  

Oh, I made salsa yesterday.  My first time.  I didn't have a recipe, just an idea of what went in it.  It's missing something, or I'm just so used to store bought.

 
Hope you are having a good week.  How's your weather out there?

thanks for stopping by, 
love & blessings
~*~

5 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That bulb garden sounds fantastic! I just planted my winter kitchen garden.
You are so sweet to relocate that widow. I have thousands of widows, so this past week we had a gardener come and cut back the scrubs and remove the lower branches, and then sprayed. I never had an issue with them before, because where we use to live we had scorpions, which kept a balance. Sort of a sweet relationship between the two. I love the little drawing of the house and the eye. xoxo Su

mxtodis123 said...

We're in for a cold one this weekend as well. Looks like fall is finally around to stay. Your Salsa looks awesome. I need a good recipe. Thinking of another Spanish theme for Christmas eve.
Mary

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I like your Inktober drawings!

Melancholy and Menace said...

Gorgeous drawings, and your salsa looks perfect!

Tammie Lee said...

loved seeing your inktober sketches
nice to have company with that
after this message i am off to work on one

yea, bulbs in the ground
i planted some too
here there and every where