07 September 2010


Change has definitely come to my house. The angiogram went well. The only problem I had was that they failed to mention prior to discharge that I couldn't be alone for 24 hours and I ended up having to stay at my mum's. Alone...as she had a bridge game scheduled and couldn't cancel it. Ugh! The procedure did confirm a narrowing of one of the veins. It also showed I have a condition called fibromuscular dysplasia in both of my carotid arteries. They said it shouldn't cause me any additional issues and was something they see a lot in women. I saw my regular neurologist a week after the procedure and he took me out of work. Today is my first official day of medical leave. He's signed me out until October 10th and we will see how I'm doing during this time. I see him again at the end of September and he is likely to extend my leave if there has been no improvement.

It is a very strange feeling to know that I do not have to go to work and that I don't have to feel guilty about not being there. Part of me had hoped that the freedom from the stress of my job would prove to be a miracle and set me free from the migraines. That didn't happen. I'm still having them, as frequently and painfully as ever. It is just nice to know that I don't have to endure the added pain of putting on the brave face. If I feel horrible, I can lie back down until I feel better. I can sit on the back deck in the early morning coolness and think my thoughts and dream my dreams. I can ... dare I say it... relax.

Yes, there is the stress of no income coming in currently. I'm not yet certain how I will manage the bills next month. But this month's bills are paid, there is a full tank of gas in the car and plenty of food in the cupboards and fridge. I'm not going to let myself worry...I am divinely guided and protected at all times. :)

I meet with the radio-neurologist tomorrow to go over the next procedure (the pressure test/possible stint insertion) and to set the date. I'm hoping they will fit me in soon as I'd like to get it over with as soon as possible. I'm even hoping to ask if they can schedule it while my mum is on an out of town trip so I won't have to fight with her about where I'm staying after it is over. :)

This past Saturday I took myself off to the farmers market and picked up some more peaches, green beans, squash and zucchini. I didn't get many green beans, but I went ahead and blanched and froze them for later in the year. I'm going to work on the peaches today and tomorrow. There is only about two weeks left to get them local before the season is over and I'd like to sock some more away before the season is over, as well as more green beans.

Apple season is starting to kick in and I have plans to make an apple pie in the next day or so. Perhaps some apple bread as well. I haven't ever tried to freeze apples, but I may try it this year. I know I'm going to make homemade applesauce as it is much better for me than the store bought.

On Saturday after a bit of shopping and errand running, I decided to work on a project that I'd been wanting to tackle for a while. I took this...

and turned it into this...

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it like this or just paint it completely white. After I took this photo, I saw a little spot I'd missed and will need to touch up. This is my first attempt at turning something into something else. I have another piece I want to paint. It is a simple light wood plant stand. I'm torn between painting it white or the light blue that I used in the little table above. (It was exterior paint that I had left over from the porch ceiling. I'm actually thinking of repainting the front door this color as the blue that I picked and had painted on the door is much darker than what I originally wanted. Still thinking about that though...

Well, enough of my ramblings for now. I'm off to start a new book and maybe start on those peaches. The nice thing is, that if I don't feel like working the peaches today, there is always tomorrow...



Rhiannon said...

Merry Meet, Laura,
'Elizabeth Rhiannon' here but I'm coming to you from a new blog...although I still have the old one. It sure sounds like you have your plate full of medical issues right now and I'm doing my best to send peace and strength your way. I love your pic. of the before and after...I love doing DIY stuff like that. Well, take care as best you can and use your 'time off' the best way you can.

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Laura! Your strength and positive energy shines in all you have to share. I'm happy that your extra time is filled with creative treats. Homemade applesauce sounds yummy. Your revamp table is lovely. Blessings to you! Lisa :)

Julie Smith said...

Best to you as you wade these medical waters. Your creative spirit will certainly get you through. Love your before and after project!

Patricia said...

So glad to hear your doc has put you on leave for a bit at least, I couldn't imagine going through what you do while at work, no less!
Love the repurposing of the little storage table too! Hope some needed rest will help get things right again.

Griselda said...

I have been procrastinating quite a bit when it comes to my painting, and at times even finishing my dolls feels like a drag...as I read your blog, I try to imagine what is it about blogging that feels so healing for me, and I have to say, I see you as a reflection of my inner spaces, where energy moves slow and the world outside is going fast.
I am sure, this is a time of harvesting for many of us, the changes and seasons of the heart and soul are present with every falling leaf...and without knowing you...I just see that you must take time to nurture yourself. Thrift stores are magical, I have gone out almost every week and found some amazing books, I feel like I am gathering for Winter time. I hope you are feeling better soon, be gentle with yourself.
All is Good.