17 August 2009

autumn

I don't know about you...but I am ready for the arrival of autumn. It has been so hot lately, I hibernate in my house with the air conditioning blasting. I prefer the fresh air blowing through my open windows, but with the heat... not gonna happen.

I feel like autumn is coming soon. Not just because September is around the corner, but because I can feel a change in the air. It feels thinner and a little lighter. Are you ready for autumn? Ready for the long hot days of summer to be over?

My garden is ready for autumn too. Pumpkins are growing, tomatoes are plentiful, as well as the bell peppers, eggplant and jalapenos. I really hope to have at least one pumpkin from my garden for Halloween.

Maybe this one...


or this one...


As I was picking tomatoes tonight, I saw the prettiest sunset ... it was so lovely I had to run to the house and grab the camera. While I was out, I took he photos of the pumpkins.



Know’st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the heart feels a languid grief
Laid on it for a covering,
And how sleep seems a goodly thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?

And how the swift beat of the brain
Falters because it is in vain,
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf
Knowest thou not? and how the chief
Of joys seems—not to suffer pain?

Know’st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the soul feels like a dried sheaf
Bound up at length for harvesting,
And how death seems a comely thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?

Autumn Song
Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1883)

blessings
~*~

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Congrats on everything--a bounitiful garden, beautiful new living space and a sucessful vending experience! Just caught up on your August entries and love the pic of your pooch still chillin' on the floor! All the pet beds in my place stay empty except the kitty-hammock thing on the windowsill. At least a kitty has decided to use the bed, right? Happy harvest to you!

the Provident Woman said...

I love the pictures

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

You are so blessed to have had heat this summer. It's been so cool (and damp) in my neck of the woods that my garden has really suffered. Even so, I am grateful for what harvests I am reaping!

Your pumpkins are beautiful! I love a good-lookin' pumpkin! :)