16 June 2018

in my garden...







I've spent a bit of time in the garden this week.  Some good, some bad.  

The blueberries are done for the season, but the cherry tomatoes and the jalapenos are doing well.  The lemon balm has exploded and I've baby blooms on my volunteer pumpkin.  I don't know that anything will form, but it's fun to watch.

My Lady of Shallot is blooming and smells so very divine!  I really need to decide where to plant her and get her in the ground and some support so it could take off.  

The blooms on the hydrangea are stunning and vary from light pink to a deep blue, deep purple to light blue.  Just lovely.  If you look closely at the photo of the hydrangea, to the left you will see my brand new, fabulously wonderful, air conditioning unit.  Ahhhh...just in time too, as the temps are to hit the high 90s coming this week.

Now for the bad...  Last time I posted about my garden I showed the progress of my san marzano tomatoes and cucumbers.  Yesterday, I shrugged on my determination and with hiccoughing sobs, and tears running down my face, I pulled them all out and disposed of them.  

You see, a few days after I posted that last post about the garden, our landscaper came along to spray the clover in the grass.  Apparently, this is something that is done every year because certain people in the neighborhood (my next-door neighbor being one of them) find clover offensive to their sensibilities and what kind of yard they want to see.  

I'd planned to ask the landscaper to skip my back area because I am highly sensitive to this particular herbicide (as in my skin breaks out with rashes if I get it on me and I cannot breath until the stuff has completely dried).  I'd been trying to keep an eye out for him, but I just (literally like 3 minutes) missed him.

A few days after he'd sprayed, I noticed the cucumber plants looking very bad and the cucumbers that had been growing becoming deformed (as well as the tomatoes).  It took me a little bit to figure out what was happening.  They just kept getting sicker and it took me time to give up on them.

So now I have no san marzanos, no cucumbers and a bunch of brown spots in the lawn (that I've been told won't be seeded with grass until the fall?!? - FTW?!?).  

It's days like this, days where everything about this place gets on my last nerve (and the next-door neighbor being falling down drunk a lot, certainly doesn't help) makes me want to move.   In fact, I've an appointment this coming Thursday to change my rent status of this place to an own status.  But right now I really don't want to do it.

After drying my tears and cleaning up yesterday I spent a few hours searching the internet for properties.  Part of me wants to just pack up everything in storage, get in my car and drive until I find my place.  Ugh...

Anyhoo...

How are things growing in your garden?  

Thanks for stopping in for a read...
love & blessings
~*~


ps... FTW is my version of WTF.  So instead of saying What the F*@k, I say F*@k the What.  :-)

pps...I've had several questions about the pig pickin cake I mentioned in my last post.  I'm planning a post coming up that explains the cake and also gives the recipe.  I'll need to make another one (oh the hardship!) and hopefully I can get that done this week.  

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, I'd be hoppin' mad about that herbicide too! There should be a formal way to opt out of that treatment that is coordinated by the landlord. You should not have to hang out on your lawn and just "hope" to see the sprayers when they come.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I find that herbicide are very offensive to my sensitivity and patience. I can't stand that sort of killing. I despise the fact that plants are treated as less just because some people feel that they have no feelings. I'm so sorry about your tomatoes and cucumbers. Maybe, next year, you can have sign waiting for the landscaper (or, if you want, I can come over and wait for him/her with a baseball bat).

Magic Love Crow said...

That makes me so upset about the clover! I LOVE CLOVER!! And, I live between two people that hate it! Imagine how strong of a herbicide, that killed the clover and your vegetables. And, that is suppose to be good for the environment??? I just don't understand! Keep smiling my friend!! If you want to get into your car and drive, I say do it! Big Hugs!