04 December 2010

two days worth (long)

yesterday, feeling a bit less wobbly than on thursday, i decided to test my strength and also get away from these four walls. i searched for something fun to dress in, found a skirt i'd had hidden in the closet for two years (tags still on) looked at the size and said now or never. i put it on and found the top i remembered i'd purchased to go with it and with a sweater and my new boots all laced up took a gander at myself and thought... i look a bit like an old fashioned school marm!



so off i went, to my work, to deliver that bread i baked a few days before. i ended up spending over two hours there, visiting and catching up. i couldn't believe it when i left and realized what the time was. everyone asked about my eye and what had happened and all said how they wanted me back ever so soon. i was able to see where my new area will be and it looks like i will have a nice setup and will get to make a nice little cubbiehole for myself. sigh...

i had a few dizzy spells while there but after sitting and resting i felt okay so i proceeded on with my plans for the day and next up was a trip to the library. i haven't been in years. my nose is so persnickety these days and i've been worried about how sensitive i would be to bringing in books from the library but after realizing how badly i need something new to read and how i just can NOT purchase new books like i want to, this seemed the only way. so...i picked up a few books...



then i went to see my mum, had lunch with her and came home with a turkey leg and the ham bone (with extra meat). i don't know if one turkey leg is enough to make stock with or not. any suggestions as to what i could do with it? she gave me some extra turkey meat too.

anywho, i made a stop at the grocers for a quick thing or two and came out with four bags. do you do that? go in for one or two things but just can't stop? i do that everywhere. i have such bad impulse control when shopping.

i have been craving collard greens and somehow missed them at the grocers so this morning to the farmers market i went, fingers crossed that they were still open this late in the year and surely someone would have collard greens. well, they were there, and busy! i bought apples and collards and that is all. i passed on the beautiful french hubbard pumpkins, nosegay bouquets, cyclamens, poinesettas, paperwhites and christmas cactus. aren't you proud? i wanted to bring them all home to live here in the cottage. but no, i said to myself, when you are feeling better and able to take better care of yourself, then you can bring more plant friends home!

oh, where was i? yes, so i left the market quite proud of myself. went to run for yet another prescription from the pharma and came home. then got a bee in my bonnet that i wanted to string fairie lights around my front porch. i get out my steppy stool and ms. hammer. find my little cup hooks (they seem to be perfect for hanging strings of fairie lights) and realize i don't have enough little cup hooks. so with the bee stinging away in my bonnet i grab my purse and keys and head to the dollar store. where they have NO CUP HOOKS. :( light bulbs - yes, they have those and i'd forgotten them at the grocers the day before so i'll get them; a little glass plate for setting candles on to catch the wax so as not to mess up the table - check, oh yes, you can never have too many of those in a cottage that almost always has candles burning; scotch tape - 2/$1 only you just bought tape at the pharma and it was only 1 roll not two and it was over two dollars and change so oh yes, most definitely i'll take that thankyouverymuch.

bee still buzzing even more determinedly i then go to the grocers, yes...again! i'm only going in for little cup hooks, i know exactly where they are. i don't even need a buggie or a little hand held carrier. i know just what i need. oh look! the candy canes i was looking for yesterday! and they're on SALE! well, just one package. okay, now to the cup hooks. hmmm...while i'm here i might as well see if they've restocked their pumpkin since they seem to be out the last several times i've been. no, no pumpkin, oh there's the manager, let me just ask..oh here it is, thanks so much. yes...four cans of pumpkin, i think i do need a carrier after all.

well...much more was bought, this and that...not too much more, just a few things that i need for various recipes that i've seen that i've wanted to make. but i did get the cup hooks! (i've only achieved one anchored in the porch ceiling so far - but it will be done by end of friday. it was just sooo cold! and i was soooo tired!)

did i mention the weather here? cold! very cold! which i love. but i only love it when it is accompanied by snow. so when the forecasters started talking about snow this weekend, i didn't want to get too excited. they've lied to me before afterall. many times. but they kept saying it, a dusting they said, over and over...a dusting...



and around noon...it started...



and just before dark it looked like this...



squee! i went out and played in it earlier in the day. this first snowfall of the winter brings a bittersweet joy. oh how my beastie boy would have loved this. while i wandered snapping photos of this or that i looked around for him and realized he wasn't there rooting and romping in the snow. but it is still snow and i am still just as much in love with it, and with winter, as i always have been.

supposedly the snow is to continue to fall through the night until early morning. so there may be even more when i wake. i'm sure to be looking out the window every once in a while to see if there is more snow falling. and as the temps aren't to get out of the 30's for the next several days, it may hang around for a bit.

i hope that your weekend is going well and that there is some happy thing brightening your days and nights...

blessings
~*~


ps... i also hope i didn't bore you wonky with all my little rambling. :)

pps...about that skirt - when i first purchased it two years ago it was at the end of winter and it is a wool skirt and lined to boot and i didn't get a chance to wear it before the hot weather came. when winter came around again, it was too small... :( the now or never is because, well, it is too BIG! yep! TOO BIG! i had to keep hiking it up all day! it is an elastic waist so i can take it in or rather i can find someone who knows what they are doing and have them take it in for me and maybe can wear it another season. :) yippee for too big clothes!

14 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

you busy bee!
glad you were able to get out and about.

i go into shops for one of two things and find i come out with much more~i just cannot help it!

i have just posted my snow pictures up too :)

Beatnheart said...

Hi Laura and thank you so much for entering my GIVEAWAY and becoming a follower...sending you luck for Dec. 10th when I announce the winner. I love the mother hubbard look. and those boots! big fan of those...and too big for you now clothes..always nice not to be heaving in your waistbands. all the best to you and thanks again.

Lorna said...

I've had days like that! Not too many when my clothes from the year before were too big, but I've always enjoyed it when it's happened.

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh I loved hearing about your day..how wonderful. I seem to run from beginning to end LOL! And Whoot to clothes that are tooo big! I wish! I wear leggings under dresses with leg warmers and big boots all winter..loove it!

Thank you hon for your sweet words..I feel so much better..feeling almost me again! Huge hugs and blessing to you!
Sarah :)

Lauren said...

What a busy day! :) I love your skirt and boots--and I really love too big clothes, I hope to have some soon! I hope you have a good week :) ~Lauren

Illustrated Ink said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe how much running around you got done in one day! I'm happy you were feeling less wobbly and were able to get out.
I recently just returned to the library, for the first time in years. It's like re-discovering an old friend, can't go wrong with free books (although it's true that they can be dusty and musty)! :)
I'm so jealous of your snow fall, sigh...
I'm sure your fairy lights will be so lovely when you finish hanging them! Congrats on your skirt getting bigger, I love it when that happens!

Victoria said...

Hi Laura...I love your posts..keep em coming! Yay..lots of fabulous books to dig into..enjoy..and have fun!I love going to the library too.. what a great idea!
Wonderful photos..great post!
Thanks for your lovely visit and super kind words !! Most appreciated!

Abi said...

Wow - what a great day! what is your day job? (or will be when your back!)
The snowy pics look amazing! - the houses look full of character... love to see more.
Hope the books are good... will keep you occupied for a while eh.
Take it easy!
Abi x

Elizabeth Rhiannon said...

Goodness, you and I shopping would be trouble, haha! Glad to hear you're out and about...in cute skirts, too :) I can't see the entire skirt but it looks CUTE! I'd love one, I never wear skirts but that one, I probably would ;) Anyhow, I love your fairy-light-decorating and peeks inside your nest. I haven't been around much lately but took a good gander around your blog to see what I've been missing and your blog looks great! All dressed up for the season. You take care. Blessings for you, this Yule season.

Patricia said...

I know this is really late but I hope you had a beautiful yuletyde! I loved your post, so glad you had some energy and spent time with co workers who missed you and got some snow too. I think Beastie was definately right there in the snow with you. Oh and hooray for making it to the library I hope you enjoy the books and keep going back for more. I swear I love my library!!! Brightest blessings to you!

Brad Fallon said...

Happy new year! I loved hearing about your day. The snowy pics look amazing!

Андрей said...

dude, thanks a lot for your post! hoipe you would like my букмекеры one too.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article to me it really helped learn a great deal! Sdes too many interesting things Dog obedience training  

Admin said...

Love it when you find clothes you'd forgotten you had.