01 February 2010

snow and such

Friday started out like this...



then quickly became this...



which led to this...



which very quickly turned into this...



Friday turned out to be a horrible migraine day. I stayed in bed most all the day and thankfully Mum was willing to pick up a bag of beastie food and drop it by. The weekend was spent in a blur of medications and sleep. I did manage yesterday to dig out a path from the back door to the yard across the back deck for beastie and also dug out the front walk for the mail carrier. Schools were out today, but we were expected to make it in at regular hours.

Due to another debilitating migraine, I ended up staying in for the day. I finally woke and showered around 10, and even managed to eat a little chicken and rice soup. However, pain in the head, nausea and a case of the shakes sent me clamoring back to my bed. I did bring my laptop with me though. After about a half hour of laying here, willing away the pain, etc., the shakes were getting worse, so off to the kitchen I went to check my blood sugar. I sometimes get the shakes like this when I haven't eaten properly and my blood sugars have dropped too low. My handy dandy new meter (the old one died last week) said 146, not too high (not really great) and not low enough to cause the shakes such as they were. I took a phenegren and brought some cold water back to bed with me.

As it happens, I am not one for medication. In fact, I hate taking medication of any type and because of that I have a higher than normal tendency to "forget" to take something. Unlike my usual ways I have been very thorough in taking my meds when I am supposed to. I've not missed a dose of anything since I started taking them a week ago. (That is quite the record for me.)

That having been said, don't you think my body should have adjusted to these meds by now? I am not liking the way I feel at all. On top of the headaches/migraines, I have all this nausea and loopieness. (Yes, it is a word, because I said so!) I've yet to hear from the doctor's office about my testing schedule and I'm trying to be very patient about it. I am not a very patient person in the best of times and I'm a big giant baby when I don't feel well.

Well, I don't feel well and I want to whine about it. Okay, done. (I hope)

The sun has been shining all day and as I lay here I listen to the drumbeat of snow melting off the roof. Tomorrow morning they say we are in for a bit of an ice/rain storm and then back to sunny days. The weather forecasters tell us that by Friday we will be in for another system like we had this past weekend. So, I'm wondering what Brigid has in store for us tomorrow, Imbolc (or for those not of the pagan path, Groundhog Day). I'm really not ready for spring at all. I'm not ready for all the work in the gardens that needs doing when I barely have the energy to take a shower. I love winter, I always have, but this year, I'm running out of my happiness for snow. Maybe because I can't get out and enjoy it as I usually do. I'm itching to tromp around in the snow, taking pictures of this and that, tossing snowballs for beastie to catch or chase. I had to go out late last night, without proper attire, to chase down beastie. Something under or behind the shed had his attention and I couldn't get him to come in. So out I go, in my thermals and a hoodie with garden clogs on my feet. I'm stomping around trying to get to him or get him to come to me muttering under my breath "blast the cold f*ing snow" and "buggar this damn shite" (yes I've been watching a lot of BBC tv lately). I hate that I felt that way about the snow and I don't want my love affair to end yet.

Whatever Brigid brings tomorrow, be it six more weeks of winter (which is what I'm expecting) or an early spring, I hope that we all of us (yes, I mean you) will be healthy and able to enjoy it.

blessings
~*~

5 comments:

Mother Moon said...

goodness.. you do not sound like you feel well at all... sorry to hear that.. on top of the weather too boot... Hope the migraines fade and your meds adjust... lucky you for the sun to shine.. we are still waiting on it.... unlike you I am ready for spring if only for the sun to shine and warmer temps..

brandi said...

~sending you much need well wishes for your and yoru body...i am all so sorry you have to endure this kind of pain...has anyone ever suggested you could be having a reactio to the pain meds? the nausea or increase of headache pain...i ask this because i have this reaction to pain medication...some of them actually make my pain a thousand times worse...hieghtens it...and causes me to feel quite sick to my stomach...just a thought i thought i would pass along...i do hope you are physically feeling better very soon...brightest blessing and much love and light your way~

Rue said...

I don't like taking meds either. I prefer to try things without first, but a migrane is never fun, and if I don't catch it with a super-Advil early, I'm screwed for the day.

I do hope you are feeling better soon; the migrane gets gone, and the weather improves for you!

Blondi Blathers said...

In Europe it's common to treat migraines with an anti-inflammatory delivered via anal suppository. This works because the drug is absorbed into the large intestine quickly, as opposed to what happens in the stomach once it's already upset and the drug isn't digested quickly.
I've used Indocid in this way for more than 10 years and, taken at the beginning of a migraine, it works beautifully. Good luck with yours! No other meds taken orally ever worked for me.

Gweneth said...

You should take your medications on time and have been advised to you. Never ever skip taking those tablets as you were just wasting money and time curing yourself because it won't happen if you just be too hard on accepting that you have to undergo such thing. Always remember, it's for your own good, if you really wanted to be cured.

le creuset on sale