18 May 2009

moving things along...

Yesterday I mentioned that there were some big changes coming to the cottage. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that I've spent a lot of time contemplating moving. After getting my fence put in, things have really changed around here. I'm enjoying living in my little cottage. I'm enjoying working in my garden (I like that term better than 'yard') and am feeling better about living here.

When the fence was finished we started with the exterior painting project. This is something that would need to be done even if I decided to move. The painter is almost finished and hopefully will be done either this weekend or next. (It's a family member who can only paint on Saturdays, so it is taking a while. I don't mind though, he's very thorough and does a very good job.)

Now that the painting is almost wrapped up, my mum and I have talked about whether or not I was staying and if I was we should finish doing some important updates around the cottage. I feel that this is where I should be for awhile, maybe for the rest of my life. I don't feel the overwhelming urge to move, as I did a few months ago. So, I gave it some thought and have decided to do the updates.

So, here we go...

I have 3 weeks and 3 days to pack up everything in my house and get it packed out into storage. I'm having a complete bathroom remodel (not the style I wanted because the room is not large enough for the clawfoot tub I want, but it will be very nice), having some electrical work done (adding some fixtures and outlets and replacing some fixtures) and having the ceilings redone (most of them are popcorn ceilings and several are cracked and showing space into the attic).

We all have to move out and I'm timing it to coincide with our week long family vacation in June. Since the babies will have to board for the vacation anyway, this will keep it down to two weeks of boarding instead of three. I'll have to stay out of the house for at least two weeks. I plan to come home every day (except when on vacation) and check the garden. I'd hate to lose my plant babies while having this work done. One of my babies, Alwyn, would not survive a stay at the veterinary. He hates it there so much that he doesn't eat, sleep or use the "facilities". He will be staying in a dog cage at my mum's in her garage. I'll stay at mum's and will be able to spend time with him and keep him calm. I think he'll be okay. (He will be 15 on July 1st and has been having some health issues. I worry about him a lot. He is my first baby and I love him so much.)

I'm really excited about these updates. Not the having to pack and move out for a few weeks part, but the part where I have new ceilings, electric and a beautiful new bathroom... that part I'm thrilled with.

I'll be really busy over the next several weeks. Between work, getting packed up/out, and keeping the gardens in shape, it will be very hectic. Plus I have to pick out paint colors, sinks/tubs/toilets, faucets and hardware. I don't know how much I'll get to post, but I hope to post at least a few times a week.



So, that is what is coming to the cottage... any changes going on with you?

Blessings
~*~

1 comment:

Dracenea said...

That's wonderful news, Laura! I'm happy to hear that you are falling in love with your home and not feeling that need to leave. It must be a wonderful feeling! Once you do everything you want to do to the place, it will even more like home.