15 August 2018

Pig Pickin' Cake



I bet you think I forgot all about my promise to share my Grandmommy's Pig Pickin' cake.  I didn't.  I actually made another one not long after my first post about it.  It's just taken a long time to get the photos edited and get the post done.  So here we go!  (Warning: Picture Heavy Post!)

This is a cake my paternal grandmother used to make.  I grew up with this being our go to celebration cake.  My aunt gave me the recipe when I was in my 20's but it took awhile before I started making it.  

You see, my grandmommy died when I was 14.  It was very traumatic and honestly, I'm still not "over it".  She was the most important person in my life and the one person who loved me just as I was.  The only thing she expected from me was to try my best.  I guess for a while, I couldn't eat it without missing her terribly.

Enough of the sappy, let's get to the recipe.  

This cake is super easy and requires very few ingredients. 
You'll need:
  for the cake:
 1 box yellow cake mix
 4 eggs, beaten
 11 ounces mandarin oranges (do not drain)
 1/2 cup salad oil (I use canola or vegetable oil)

  for the frosting:
 20 ounces crushed pineapple
 1 8 ounce container cool whip
 1 3 ounce box instant vanilla pudding

 I like to make the frosting first as it needs time to chill in the refrigerator.

Pour the crushed pineapple (do not drain) into a mixing bowl. 
 Add the instant pudding mix and stir until mixed.  
Once it is well blended, fold in the cool whip.
Stir gently until well blended.  Then cover and refrigerate.
While the frosting chills, grease and flour 3 nine inch cake pans.  (I don't like to use cooking spray.  Whenever I do, things stick.)

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.

Into the bowl of the mixer add the yellow cake mix and add the mandarin oranges. 
In a separate bowl, whisk 4 eggs together.
Add this to the bowl with the cake mix and oranges.
Next, add the oil.
Mix well on medium being sure to scrape the sides down.

Once it's mixed, pour evenly into the three prepared cake pans.  
Bake at 350F degrees for 25 minutes only.  (This is very important!)

Once done, turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

When you're ready to frost the cake put a little bit of parchment paper under the edges of the 1st layer to help keep the cake plate clean.
Frost the top of the bottom layer.
Add the second layer and top with frosting, then the third layer.
I like to try to get a nice think layer of frosting between the cake layers.  If your frosting starts to break down and turn a bit runny put it and the cake into the refrigerator until it sets up again.  I was frosting this under the stove lights and realized it was too much heat.  :-)

Remember, when you're done that the cake needs to be kept refrigerated.

Well, there you go.  Pig Pickin' Cake.  

I hope you enjoy it!  

If you give it a try let me know how you like it.

Thanks for stopping by for a read!
love & blessings
~*~


 
 
 
 

 

6 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Looks delicious. Saving this recipe.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, man, that looks good! I could eat the bowl of frosting all by itself! I went back and re-read your original post about this cake and you didn't tell us why it's called "pig pickin cake" -- so why is it?

Marfi-topia said...

Sorry for the loss of your grandmommy..how wonderful that you had someone love you so purely.
this cake looks incredible!!!!
thanks for the recipe and the step by step pictures.

Magic Love Crow said...

Amazing!! Looks so yummy! Thank you for the recipe and the pictures! So good!
I am so sorry for the loss of your grandma at a young age!
I want to know, along with Debra, why is it called pig pickin?
Big Hugs!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I understand never getting over a person who always felt (and still feels) indispensable to our living, especially if the loss was traumatic. I hope that one day the worse pain lessens a bit. But... as you already know, the hurt will always stay... love those that, and we wouldn't change it for the world, would we?

About the cake... you are a TEMPTRESS! I am totally making it. I hope the soul of your grandma don't get too mad at me... because I want to add some coconut to the frosting. You think she'll be okay with that? *fingers crossed*

Magaly Guerrero said...

P.S. Like Debra (and Stacy, lol), I also went back to lurk around the original post, and didn't find why it's called "pig pickin' cake".