14 November 2020

my beastie...







today is my baby boy's birthday.  he would have been 23.  wow...

he's been gone just over 10 years and i miss him like a limb...

he was my constant companion.  if i was anywhere in his vicinity, he had to be right there with me.  working in the galley kitchen in the little cottage with the blue door was an exercise in balance.  when he laid down he took up almost the entire floor.  

he didn't like rain or water.  i'd never met a labrador retriever who didn't like to swim, but he couldn't stand it.  but he loved snow.  just like me, if it was snowing he wanted to be out in it.  we would play in the snow whenever we could.  i'd toss snowballs and he'd catch them or we'd roll around in it...

it seems like he was always ill.  he constantly developed hematomas in his ear flaps (or as i called them, hematomatoes).  around about age 5 or 6 he developed diabetes and required constant care.  there was ketone test strips to be administered (that was fun... not), insulin shots twice a day, making sure he ate and drank plenty of water, the constant bathroom breaks...

it was a lot of work.  i was always amazed that he didn't seem to be bothered by the shots.  in fact, if i was distracted or forgot his injection, he would remind me by coming to me and sticking his nose under my arm.  and don't get me started on all the things he ate that he shouldn't have (corn cob surgery - twice!)

he was such a good boy and so very sweet.  he was a really big dog and i felt safe with him around.  he never did get trained not to bark or jump all the time.  he was hard to take for walks around others, as he wanted to meet and play with anyone we came across.  i know that was my fault as i didn't do the work to teach him manners.  

i so loved him though...

my dylan... my sweet wildman... my beastie...

i miss you baby...

love, kisses & magical wishes...

~&~

 
 

 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm glad Dylan was in your life. Labs are the best dogs EVER.

Angela Kawada said...

What a precious doggo. <3 I am sure he had a very love-filled life with you and that brought him so much happiness and joy!