06 November 2023

lifeline...



it was a weird day. i had a super early appointment with my diabetes educator. everything was great, my numbers are fabulous. but it seemed like a waste of time. i really thought it was something we could have talked about over the phone. 

before i left i headed down to the imaging department to schedule my yearly boobiesmash. as luck would have it, they had an opening within 30 minutes. so despite not being dressed for easy off and on, i went ahead and signed up. as i was changing my top for the sexy gown, i realized i couldn't find my phone. 

immediate panic mode. i tossed my top back on, ran to get the tech to tell her i needed to go out to check for my phone. she looked through my bag, tried calling it and everything. no phone. we went out to the waiting area and one of her coworkers said they'd found a phone. luckily it was being held at the check-in desk. 

it took hours for me to calm down and i was more uncomfortable than usual having my scans. 

my phone is my lifeline. pretty much literally. it is how i monitor my blood glucose and control my insulin pump. without it, i feel completely vulnerable. ugh...

in an effort to calm down after i arrived home i went to the art table and my art journal. yesterday i'd watch a video about abstract art. so i thought i'd give it a try.

when i was done with the first layer, i hated it. abstract is just not my thing. i've tried it several times and my luck is hit or miss. 

what do i do when i really can't stand what i painted? i paint over it. i usually use gesso, but i went with titanium white. after i covered it i pressed the pages together to give it a bit of texture. i have no idea what will happen once i go back to it tomorrow. hopefully i can find something i like.

so, that was my day today. honestly, my anxiety is still a bit high and my walk didn't help this evening. we'll see.

so, how was your day?

thanks for being here...

love & magicks

~*~

ps...for Debra: i spray my finished painting with Krylon low odor gloss, once that is dry i rub it with a thin coating of wax (tealight or beeswax) and buff it down. it keeps the pages from sticking together. :-)

 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a scary incident! I would panic if I lost my phone too, although I don't keep any financial or personal info on it apart from photos, phone contacts and access to my emails. Glad you found it again safe and sound!

Thanks for the info about how you protect your art journal pages! The thin wax coating intrigutes me. Have you ever tried encaustic painting? (I haven't but I know it's quite popular among some artists).

karen said...

losing my phone or wallet is one of my nightmares! I would have been so so so upset. I have anxiety getting mammos so I cannot imagine getting one and missing my phone.