02 November 2017

a favorite thing...






Since my blog title has my favorite things as a part, I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite things today.

I love to read.  I've always loved to read.  Whenever my family couldn't find me, they new to look in the darkest corner of the room furthest from where everyone else was, and they'd find me there with a book.  I'd sit on the floor with my back to the window to get as much light as I could to see the words on the page.

I read everything I could get my hands on.  When I was working, I'd read on breaks and lunch hours.  Even walking to the break room to get a drink from the soda machine, I'd have my nose buried in a book. (Until it was commented on that I should probably not do that as they were paying me to work, not read.)

When I was taken out of work and put on disability, reading was what kept me alive.  I couldn't watch much tv or movies, or listen to music because the sound and flashing screens would send my pain over the edge.  But I could read.  

I submersed myself in stories that I'd wanted to read for years and had never taken the time, or stories I wasn't sure about but what the heck, right?  I would push through the pain to take a quick trip to the library and bring home close to 20 books each time.  Thick books, thin books, it didn't matter.  All I did was read.

The one caveat was that it had to be fiction.  I have a very hard time with non-fiction books.  Mostly I get bored.  I don't know why that is but it is very rare that I can pick up a non-fiction and actually finish it.

So fiction it is... I still read alot, but not like I did.  The constant pain and numerous medications over the years has done something to my cognitive function and I can't process as well as I used to.  I read much slower and it takes me longer to get what I am reading.  Now I seem to stick to the same authors and even re-read the same series over and over.  

That was a long and rambling way of telling you that I love books.  My most recent new read was one I didn't even know was coming until release day.  I saw someone post on Instagram that they were getting read to start it.  I went to the book store the next day and bought my copy.  I so rarely buy books anymore, but I knew this would be a keeper and be re-read often.

Alice Hoffman takes us back for a visit with the Owens family, in her newest book, The Rules of Magic.  This time we learn about the aunts from Practical Magic, Frances and Jet, and how they became the women we loved.  I read this in less than 24 hours and went through the full run of emotions.  I loved this book and can't wait to read it again.

If you haven't read Practical Magic, I highly recommend that you do.  If you have read it, but have yet to read The Rules of Magic, may I suggest that you get right to it.  If you've read neither...what are you waiting for?

Both books are full of real life magic (not the made up kind Hollywood likes) and raw emotion, with realistic concerns that everyday people go through.

To me, Ms. Hoffman is a master storyteller and I am so grateful that she shares these stories with the rest of us.

Seriously, go read this...

That's all for today.  I hope you are having a good one.

thanks for stopping by!
love & blessings
~*~

ps...top picture from the archives, bottom from my Instagram - still can't find that danged cord.  xoxo
 

 

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Laura, I love to read too! I was an absolutely voracious reader when I was young, right up until I graduated from university. But once I was out in the full-time workforce, my reading decreased dramatically because I just did not have the time anymore. If I read half a dozen books per year now, I'm doing good. But soon I will be retired and returning to pleasure reading in a big way is something I'm SO looking forward to!

Magic Love Crow said...

Keep up with the reading Laura! If that makes you happy, never stop! I have to admit, I have never been a reader. I think in my life now, if I pick up a book, I think, I could be painting! LOL! But, saying that, I would like to get into reading! Even if it's one book, ever couple of months! My friend, I am so sorry about your constant pain and medications!!! Sending Big Hugs and Many Blessings!!