30 August 2015

a walk in the park...

One of the things I promised myself I would do when I moved into my home last summer, was to explore the area I live in.  I did a few excursions in the first few months, taking a few walks on the greenway and attending a free festival at an historic site.

One day last week, I felt like getting out of the house, so decided to explore a park in my area.  The park is on a lake and the property once belonged to a prominent Quaker family.  It is actually in a small town that is next to the city I live in.  They have a large pool area with a huge water-slide, walking trails, lots of picnic areas, a carousel and large playground area for children.  They also offer paddle-boats and have a pontoon boat on which they offer rides and a small dock for people to load their own boats onto the lake.
This is the small meeting house the residents used when they were unable to make the trip to their regular meeting house (about 5 miles away, I think). Beside it is a small cemetery with graves dating back to the mid 1700's. Many of the graves are unmarked and most are broken or nearly illegible. 

School is back in session so it was pretty quiet at the park the day I went and the pool and rides all closed.  I walked around a bit and explored.  I found a small area that was a little bit private that I can go to be close to water.  It felt good to be out and exploring.


I hope to go back from time to time and spend time walking there.  I was a bit discouraged by how much trash was left tossed about and the amount of trash on the shore of the lake.  People seem to have such little respect for Mother Earth.




The flowers were lovely, many I'd not seen before.  Watching the various wildlife was fun as well.  Ducks, butterflies, hawks and dragonflies.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little visit to the lake park.  Thanks for coming along with me.

Have you done any exploring lately?

love & blessings
~*~

No comments: